Extension, Module

Archived
Forum
(read-only)

Zenbu

ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Nicolas Bottari

Full width? Channel Images? Column width for text fields?

Support Request

ometiclan
ometiclan

Hello World!

Is it possible to display the Zenbu-Entry Manager in full width like it is shown on https://zenbustudio.com/software/zenbu ..?

The menu-column on the left takes up a lot of space, making the entry manager kind of useless, since ~830px in width are not really sufficient for displaying several columns/fields… which is kind of the reason i am using Zenbu in the first place.

Also: Having Channel Images-fields in the List causes EE to throw warnings and notices for every entry:

Notice
Uninitialized string offset: 0
user/addons/channel_images/ft.channel_images.php, line 1551 show details

Notice
Uninitialized string offset: 5

Warning
Illegal string offset ‘extra_options’

Notice
Uninitialized string offset: 0

Warning
Illegal string offset ‘setting’

Also: Having Text/Expresso-fields in the Entry Manager doesn’t really work well, since I can limit the characters shown, but Zenbu doesn’t limit the column width, resulting in no breaklines and really wide column(s) whenever there is a text field involved - even with limited characters.

(EE3.5.6 / Zenbu 2.2.0 / Channel Images 6.0.3)

Nicolas Bottari - Zenbu Studio
# 1
Developer

Hi ometician,

Is it possible to display the Zenbu-Entry Manager in full width like it is shown on https://zenbustudio.com/software/zenbu ..?

Sure! There’s a button on the top left of the main Zenbu area with an arrow pointing left. If you click on this icon, the sidebar on the left should collapse and make the main area take the full with. Keep in mind that for very large tables with lots of information, the table will be scrollable horizontally.

Also: Having Channel Images-fields in the List causes EE to throw warnings and notices for every entry:

Usually issues and errors with displaying 3rd-party field data should be taken care of by the 3rd-party developer (Zenbu has developer documentation for this). However Channel Images’ case was special: without knowing if the original developer would ever come back to update Channel Images, there was no way of knowing if this issue was going to get fixed. As a courtesy I created a patch file of one of the files for Channel Images (when it was around 6.0.2 if I recall), and I can send you a copy if you contact me mentioning this thread. Hopefully this can work for you. Now that Channel Images is in the hands of a new developer, however, it might be worth mentioning this error to them so they can have a fix for a future release.

Also: Having Text/Expresso-fields in the Entry Manager doesn’t really work well, since I can limit the characters shown, but Zenbu doesn’t limit the column width, resulting in no breaklines and really wide column(s) whenever there is a text field involved - even with limited characters.

If you’ve worked with HTML tables I’m sure you know how difficult it is to force columns to be a certain width, especially when the number of columns can be very large and/or vary in number. Zenbu leaves it to the browser to set table widths naturally instead of trying to force a value that might not get respected (and disappoint even more). In the end, large amount of data takes more space in a table cell than less data, so this can affect the table layout in Zenbu results (again, YMMV depending on your display setup and the content in each cell). Even with HTML stripped and characters limited however, words should wrap at some (natural) point though.

ometiclan
# 2
ometiclan
Nicolas Bottari - Zenbu Studio - 08 May 2017 08:20 AM

Hi ometician,
Sure! There’s a button on the top left of the main Zenbu area with an arrow pointing left.

I could swear there was a Gear-Icon there which brought me somewhere else ... and now i feel just a littl stupid :D ... but: YES. That’s what i was looking for ... thank you :D

I’ll look into tha Channel Images - issue, thank you for the info!

>  Zenbu leaves it to the browser to set table widths naturally instead of trying to force a value that might not get respected (and disappoint even more). Even with HTML stripped and characters limited however, words should wrap at some (natural) point though.

Erm ... Neither Chrome for Firefox seem to do that. See attached Images. Maybe i’ve missed another Button… ;) :D

ometiclan
# 3
ometiclan

@Not wrapping text:

There’s a white-space: nowrap; in the themes/ee/cp/css/common.min.css that doesn’t get overwritten by zenbu_main.css, causing the text not to wrap:

th,td{padding:10px;white-space:nowrap;

I quickfixed

.resultsTable th,td {white-space:normal} 

into zenbu_main.css and got the desired result.

# 4
Developer

That’s right, I was going to write back to mention this default style by the EE3 stylesheet and that the class would need to be overridden. Your solution should be enough for now, but I’ll have something similar in the next release of Zenbu.

ometiclan
# 5
ometiclan

Awesome! Thank you! :)