ExpressionEngine 2, ExpressionEngine 3, ExpressionEngine 4

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Rein de Vries

Choose Image Version

Feature Request

davidbehan
davidbehan

Hi,

Maybe this is a feature request, I’m not sure. Or maybe it’s there somewhere but I can’t see it.

I’m looking for a way that when my client uploads images to X file upload, that they get to choose which version of the file to display. At the moment, I’ve got preferences set that 4 versions of the image are created at different sizes, e.g. large, medium, small, thumb. To manually show the image after uploading, the client needs to add in _large/ to the file location.

I’m wondering is there a way of checking what folder the image is uploaded to and what versions of the file are available to be added via the editor. Some clients aren’t that tech savvy so we could end up with a 4mb image squashed into a 400px x 300px space, when there was a perfectly sized and optimised version sitting there all along.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions,

Thanks,

Dave

litzinger
# 1
Developer
litzinger

Hi David. This is pretty far outside the realm of an editor. Have you looked into the upload resizing options in the native file manager? It might help you achieve what you are looking for, but unfortunately this just isn’t an editor specific feature.

davidbehan
# 2
davidbehan

I wouldn’t say this is far outside an editors scope. Yes, I already have the images resizing to the correct sizes using the native upload preferences. What I’m looking for here is that when you’re selecting your image, the editor detects that there are multiple versions of the image (already resized and ready to go) and gives you the option to choose one.

Remember, these editors are usually used by novice users who haven’t got a clue. It’s fine for anyone with some web experiences to just type in the url to the resized version but novice users often can’t even do that much. This would make their live easier, don’t you think?

neekster
# 3
neekster

Have to agree with David on this one. It’s really only taking functionality that already exists in EE (resizing images) and allowing the end user to select these resized images. I’ve already had countless problems with end users uploading huge images, this would help in this situation.

davidbehan
# 4
davidbehan

Any further thoughts on this, Brian?

litzinger
# 5
Developer
litzinger

If the default file manager does not make these images accessible, then I can’t get to them in Wyvern without creating either a new file manager, or updating the image dialog box pretty significantly. The first is not a task I’m willing to undertake. Frankly those resized folders should be accessible through the file manger if you ask me. Updating the dialog box is a do-able task, but would still not trivial. Also it would require a 2nd interaction point for the user: first, select your image, then select the size. Which may not seem like much, but the better solution is to select the correct size the first time when selecting the image, which would mean the resized folders need to be listed in the file manager.

Updating the image dialog isn’t a bad idea, but it isn’t high on my radar at the moment. I’d rather see EllisLab revise the file manager dialog first to make this a global feature (since the file manager can be loaded on anywhere now including the category page), not just Wyvern specific.