Threaded Comments

ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Yuri Salimovskiy

Please consider fixing this “kink in the chain”

Feature Request

JanPaul999
JanPaul999

Here’s the kink in the chain described by a very credible source, Neil Patel…

From his article “What I learned about you through 4 redesigns”:

Subscribe to comments

During the 3rd design I added a subscribe to comments option, so when you posted a comment you got notified by email when someone else commented. This really helped boost traffic and the number of comments per post.

The problem with adding this is that a good portion of the Quick Sprout readers marked those emails as spam, so they stopped going to your inbox.

In the 4th design I removed the subscribe to comments option and comments per blog post has gone down by roughly 26%. I am working on fixing the email spam issue and once I do, I will be adding that feature back to the current design.

Threaded comments has the same problem since the only option is to have a subscriber receive notifications for all newly added comments instead of only for replies to the commenters comment which is what most commenters want, and which is what really stimulates discussions/additional commenting.

I know this option is available when you auto approve comments, but that’s not a viable solution because on my websites this results in a lot of manual spam getting through.

Can you please fix this/add this feature?

Yuri Salimovskiy
# 1
Developer
Yuri Salimovskiy

Hi Jaun Paul,

if I understand you correctly, Threaded Comments already has this feature.
What you need to do is add checkbox named “notify_thread” to the form (instead of “notify_me”)

JanPaul999
# 2
JanPaul999

Hi, yes I know, but this only works when comments are not moderated right? I can’t have new comments set to open by default because that will result in manual spam comments getting trough.

Yuri Salimovskiy
# 3
Developer
Yuri Salimovskiy

Yes, because Threaded Comments does not have it’s own moderation system. It’s a feature that needs to be added, and it’s in plans - but I can’t tell you when that will get done.

JanPaul999
# 4
JanPaul999

Ah ok so that’s why. Is it a lot of work to develop? Anyway, I hope you can give it priority as I feel for me at least this will really up the value of the commenting system, I mean in terms of it’s usefulness and community building effectiveness.

Yuri Salimovskiy
# 5
Developer
Yuri Salimovskiy

I would like to do it together with complete module re-writing (because it contains a lot of bad code), so yes - it will take some time

Marc Miller
# 6
Marc Miller

Hi Yuri,
Any progress report on this update? Just curious how long it may take to get comment moderation and comment notifications working nicely together in your module. Thanks.

Yuri Salimovskiy
# 7
Developer
Yuri Salimovskiy

No progress at all so far.