Taxonomy

ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From iain

Children nodes not taking on parent node custom url

Support Request

Austin Siewert
Austin Siewert

Not sure if I’m using this right or not…I have a parent node set as a custom url and all children under the parent are set as entries thinking the children nodes would be appended to the end of the custom url. Basically trying to keep my template groups & templates as clean and lean as possible and use routing instead. I could easily do this if I just created a new template group and then do template routing for the second segment. Let me know if that make sense?

iain
# 1
Developer
iain

Hi Austin

I think you’re misunderstanding what a “Custom URL” does. It’s not like the pages module, where you can assign an arbitrary url for the node/entry to render through. It’s just a url for this node to point to, it could be an external url like google.com or whatever you like.

So yeah, adding a custom url to a parent node doesn’t give all child nodes a ‘base’ for their urls to be set through.

I have developed an extension which does create stacked urls which get deeper as you go down a tree, but things got a bit “Structure like” for my liking, and I think trying to support it would be a bit of a nightmare. I’ll have another look at routing and taxonomy and see if there’s some options/config settings I can add for situations like this.

Iain

Austin Siewert
# 2
Austin Siewert

Yeah, I’m coming from a structure mindset trying to nest URL’s. I was able to achieve this with choosing a template & entry for the children nodes. I’ll keep an eye, and thanks for the respsone

Electric Putty
# 3
Electric Putty

+1 for this, I understand the ‘full control’ aspect of the nav creation, but an optional toggle so that a child node could inherit its parent URL would be amazing, and I don’t mind if it’s high level (i.e. a config var or on a tree by tree basis would be fine with me.)

Thanks!
Rob