ExpressionEngine 3, ExpressionEngine 4, ExpressionEngine 5

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From PutYourLightsOn

You must be logged in to post.

Question About The Sitemap Pinger

General

golfbloggercom
golfbloggercom

I write a good many of my posts on the weekend and schedule them to publish over the next week. However, as soon as I hit publish (with the future date set), the pinger notifies Google, et. al. But if they look for it, they wont’ find it since its not yet active.

Is there a way to set the notification only when it actually is published.?

PutYourLightsOn
# 1
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

no, i’m afraid that’s not possible, although i understand your situation. but i think since the search engines are being pinged regularly they will automatically come back to check for updates on your site.

golfbloggercom
# 2
golfbloggercom

Does the pinger notify to look at a specific url, or just to come back and look at the sitemap in general?

PutYourLightsOn
# 3
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

it pings the url of the entire sitemap

golfbloggercom
# 4
golfbloggercom

Is there something in the sitemap itself that tells the search engines to visit on a daily basis, or is it dependent up on the pinging? I thought perhaps I might turn off the pinging extension and just leave the sitemap. Or would that be counterproductive?

PutYourLightsOn
# 5
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

yes, the frequency can be set for each channel/weblog. you can disable the extension yes, i don’t think it would be counterproductive as the search engines should already know about the sitemap and will periodically return to check it.