ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Phil Sturgeon

Error Handling with REST

Support Request

brianrivet
brianrivet

Hi Phil,

I was wondering if there is a way to handle erors gracefully in REST. For instance, I am using REST to parse xml returned from an outside database based on a parameter sent in the request. I use a segment variable to set the request pararmeter in my template, so my REST tag looks like this:

{exp:rest url="http://media.lpb.org/pbcore/api/GetAssetDetails.ashx" verb="get" format="xml" param:asset_identifier="{segment_3}"

Now generally users will be accessing this template by clicking a link that will have the necessary asset id populated in segment 3 as part of the link, but there is always the possibility that someone could type a random parameter into the segment 3 position, so I was wondering if there is a way to handle that gracefully. Right now as it stands, when I put in a value in the segment position that is obviously going to cause an error, I get a blank screen (the template doesn’t render). The xml that is returned for the request is as follows:

<Error>
<
ErrorMessage>Asset Not Found</ErrorMessage>
</
Error

I recognize this could just be a matter of my not using the tag properly, but any suggestions you have would be welcome. I’d like to be able to either do a 404 redirect or at least display an error message in the template.

Thanks,

Brian

brianrivet
# 1
brianrivet

Hi Phil,

Please disregard this post. I was able to resolve the issue, it was a php problem on my part.

Thanks,

Brian