Minimee

ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From John D. Wells

jQuery broke on random browsers

Bug Report

JamesB
JamesB

Not sure how to explain this one. I started receiving random reports that little jquery widgets on one of my sites weren’t working on some random machines. I would test on an identical browser and wouldn’t be able to duplicate. When I finally looked at one of the browsers with the issue I noticed a js console error with jquery (1.9.1) which was being served up from the Google library and included in my Minimee js cache. When I moved it out from the Minimee set everything worked fine again. So I have an so-so resolution. But not sure why some machines would have a js error and other identical browsers not… Or why there would be an error at all.

John D Wells
# 1
Developer
John D Wells

Hi JamesB,

That is curious that a JS error would occur only in some browsers. Do you know what error was being reported in the console?

I will say though that I’d recommend you not minifying jQuery. This is because the Google hosted version is very likely already cached by your user’s browsers, so there’s no need for them to download another copy - you’re essentially increasing the size of your site’s JS content for little reason.

Cheers,
John

JamesB
# 2
JamesB

I don’t… I was more concerned about getting a quick fix. Just thought I’d share that bit of curiosity. Lesson learned!