Archived
Forum
(read-only)

For official support, visit the official support site »

Link Vault

ExpressionEngine 2, ExpressionEngine 3, ExpressionEngine 4, ExpressionEngine 5

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Masuga Design

Obfuscated URLs are expanding/resolving when visited. Should they not remain obfuscated?

Support (Resolved)

Anthony DeCrescenzo
Anthony DeCrescenzo

In this particular case, I want to use LV to obfuscate some URLs, not downloadable links, just URLs.

It generates the crazy URLs like a champ, but when I click them it reveals the actual URL, unencoded. up there in the browser location bar.

Is this standard behavior? Is there a way to not have this happen? Kind of defeats the purpose if the ultimate link is viewable, no?

Am I missing something?

Ben Kohl
# 1
Ben Kohl

This is because Link Vault eventually redirects the user to the intended URL. There is no way to hide that in the browser otherwise the user will never get to the protected URL. The obfuscated URL primarily exists to hide tracking information that you may attach to the particular link.

Anthony DeCrescenzo
# 2
Anthony DeCrescenzo

Thanks. Outside any area of responsibility, but if you don’t askā€¦

Any suggestions?

Ben Kohl
# 3
Ben Kohl

I’m not aware of any add-ons that do this, but it would have to be something that grabs all the contents of the page from the original URL then just dumps them onto the screen. And it would probably need to be a URL that exists on your own site in case there are relative links and src attributes in the markup.

Anthony DeCrescenzo
# 4
Anthony DeCrescenzo

Well, that ain’t happening. ;-)

But thanks for going above and beyond.