ExpressionEngine 2, ExpressionEngine 3, ExpressionEngine 4, ExpressionEngine 5

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From PutYourLightsOn

You must be logged in to post.

Additional Fieldtype request [resolved]

General

jtrascap
jtrascap

Expresso works nicely - thanks for this. Can be that the setup on others servers are a bit non-standard - I loaded it up, switched it on and it’s working perfectly.

One suggestion: Break out the file browser into it’s own supporting fieldtype - browsing the file structure works fine, but only if you’re linking to the field Expresso is working within (naturally - this makes sense). The problem is that the client should have the same file browser experience whether in Expresso or another field only connecting to the file system. The different environments is enough that the one user I’ve deployed this too is lost when they move from one field to another, which ruins the experience (and makes me rely on the default system or another, more expensive solution).

If you could break out the File Browser and add a second fieldtype, that would make everything rather uniform for the user. And I’d get the ability to have sub-directory access in EE, so I’d be happy too.  ;)  I’d even give you another $10 for that alone.

PutYourLightsOn
# 1
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

thanks for the feedback. this is something that i considered adding from the beginning but decided to wait and see what the reaction to the file browser would be and then make a decision on it. some people have already requested integration with the native file browser (which i am feeling reluctant about considering the amount of bugs i have encountered using it, but hopefully the 2.1.4 release will fix most bugs) and some want the toolbar simplified.

i think i will wait a bit longer before making a final decision about the file browser, and then consider an extra file fieldtype.

cheers!

jtrascap
# 2
jtrascap

Actually, do consider the fieldtype sooner than later - I tend to do larger-scale magazines and portals, and they want to categorize directories by year.  The lack of sub-directory access in the native file browser has always been a big negative in ee (as much as I love it. I have to admit to it’s faults). Having a fieldtype at a decent price makes this a great differentiator.

Until then, we’re waiting…(somewhat) patiently.  ;)

PutYourLightsOn
# 3
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

ok, noted

grovberg
# 4
grovberg

I just registered solely for the purpose of adding my pleading emphasis to this request. Check the support forums for absolutely every WYSWIG editor out there and you’ll find this request, but every developer seems reluctant for some reason. This is a desperately needed feature and the first developer who implements it will score a ton of business.

The issue is that our clients, the content authors who are generally less tech savvy, need consistency in order to feel like the authoring system is giving them a good experience. And right now that’s impossible in EE. Even if the File Browser in EE was fantastic, this would still be a problem because the two file managers would be different.

Seriously. We need this. Today. Please.

PutYourLightsOn
# 5
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

just released version 1.1 which integrates with EE’s native file manager. a big improvement in UI consistency in my opinion.

Hilversum, i hope you won’t be mad at me, i know you really liked the file manager but as grovberg pointed out consistency is important.