ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Protean Web

Problem with jQuery 1.7

General

AndrewMac
AndrewMac

Hi there

The add-on stops working for me if I’m using jQuery 1.7. None of the buttons are rendered. Things go back to normal if I switch back to an earlier version of jQuery ...

Is that just me, or is it an acknowledged problem? If the latter, any idea on how long it might take to get a fix in place (either through you or from the ShareThis people)?

Hope this all makes some kind of sense.

Cheers
Andrew

jayalfredprufrock
# 1
Developer
jayalfredprufrock

Hmm That’s a good question. Before I start pointing fingers at the ShareThis team, I’ll confirm that the javascript that my plugin produces isn’t causing the problem. If it is on their end, I’m sure it will get addressed soon though, as that would be a critical issue!

jayalfredprufrock
# 2
Developer
jayalfredprufrock

Well,  I just upgraded jQuery to 1.7 on one of my sites running the plugin, and everything seems to be working just fine. Could you provide a few more details about what settings you are using in the plugin, particularly the JS settings? It certainly seems strange that by only changing the jQuery version, the sharethis plugin would go from working to not working…I’m leaning towards some wierd bug that the ShareThis team hasn’t fixed yet, but until I get a little more information from you, I suppose it would be unwise to assume the fault doesn’t lie on my end.

Also, there is a chance that a different script on your page is throwing an error as a result of the jQuery upgrade, which causes the ShareThis code to not initialize things properly. Have you taken a look at the console with firebug/web inspector to see if any javascript errors are produced?

AndrewMac
# 3
AndrewMac

Hello again, and sorry ... I didn’t actually get any notice about your last post.

I just stopped by to let you know that the issue has been resolved. I’m not honestly sure exactly what had been causing it, but it just started working again yesterday. We’ve done quite a bit of work recently, updated a few other add-ons, and made a few changes in different areas, so either something on our system was creating a conflict, as you suspected, or it was some kind of network problem at our end. I guess it could have been a weird bug at ShareThis, but I’d tend to think it was a conflict at our end.

In any case, all that doesn’t matter: we’re happy enough to have things working again :-)

Thanks for all the help you gave with this. I hope we didn’t waste too much of your valuable time!

Cheers
Andrew

jayalfredprufrock
# 4
Developer
jayalfredprufrock

Not at all! I’m glad you got things sorted out. Let me know if anything else comes up, or if you have any suggestions for improving things. Take care,

Andrew