Custom Drop Down Creator

ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Mark Bowen Design

Use with Matrix fields?

General

Matt Crest
Matt Crest

Wondering if it’d be possible to use this to target drop downs within a Matrix field?

I tried this:

{exp:custom_drop_down field_name="matrix-field-name" separate_values="yes" initial_value_value="any" initial_value_option="Any"}

<option value="{drop-down-within-matrix}">{drop-down-within-matrix}</option>
{/exp:custom_drop_down} 

Any thoughts?

Mark Bowen Design
# 1
Developer
Mark Bowen Design

Hi Matt,

The plugin wasn’t coded to work with Matrix no, sorry. I’m really not sure if it will be possible to do what you’re after as if I’m understanding correctly then Matrix serializes all of its data and so there’s no way this would work with that.

The plugin was just created to work with the standard ExpressionEngine drop down fields I’m afraid.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark Bowen Design
# 2
Developer
Mark Bowen Design

Hi Matt,

Taking a very quick look at the documentation for the P&T dropdown fieldpack it looks like you should be able to create these sorts of things out of the box. Did you try using the Pixel & Tonic template tags to get this working yet?

Best wishes,

Mark

Seb
# 3
Seb

Hey Matt,

I’ve got a very similar need. How did you solve this?

Seb

Mark Bowen Design
# 4
Developer
Mark Bowen Design

Hi Seb,

Just out of interest how did you get hold of this add-on as I only recently placed it on the site here and I don’t see a purchase from yourself for it?

Best wishes,

Mark

Seb
# 5
Seb

Hey Mark,
I don’t have a copy! I considered it. Then I saw Matt’s issue, which closely reflected my situation, and subsequently posted my question.
Plain ‘ol asking.
Seb

Mark Bowen Design
# 6
Developer
Mark Bowen Design

Ah okay. No problems. Just thought that you had the same ‘problem’, I see now it was just a ‘need’ so please accept my apologies for that.

Hope you get something sorted. Oh and if you’d like a free copy of the plugin for my mistake then just DM me on @markbowen with your e-mail address and I’ll get a copy sent over to you. :-)

Best wishes,

Mark

Seb
# 7
Seb

No worries. Thanks for the offer, v. kind of you. But I’ve found a workaround.
Cheers

Mark Bowen Design
# 8
Developer
Mark Bowen Design

Hi Matt / Seb,

Seb I don’t know what your workaround is but have you both seen the Field Builder add-on. I’m pretty sure that will allow you to do what you need here or at least something fairly close to it anyway.

Best wishes,

Mark

Seb
# 9
Seb

Dah ha! Great. Thanks for the heads up Mark. This looks like the ticket.

My work around was to create an entry with all the options selected, and then use that to turn all my former matrix P&T checkbox lists into multiselect dropdowns. It works a treat, but it just feels a bit *dirty*.

Thanks again,

Seb

Mark Bowen Design
# 10
Developer
Mark Bowen Design
Seb - 01 April 2011 08:48 AM

Dah ha! Great. Thanks for the heads up Mark. This looks like the ticket.

My work around was to create an entry with all the options selected, and then use that to turn all my former matrix P&T checkbox lists into multiselect dropdowns. It works a treat, but it just feels a bit *dirty*.

Thanks again,

Seb

No problem. Glad you’ve got something working now.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Best wishes,

Mark