Plugin

Archived
Forum
(read-only)

CE Image

ExpressionEngine 1.x, ExpressionEngine 2, ExpressionEngine 3

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Causing Effect

Using S3 with CE Image causes significantly slow page loads (Responded)

Support Request

PaleoSun
PaleoSun

I use your add-on on every EE site I build nowadays, and I love it. But on my most recent project, I encountered a strange issue. I have a page that calls your addon to crunch and crop about 90+ images, 1x and 2x sizes for each. Granted, that is a lot of images, but none of them are very large.

So, with the S3 connection disabled, here is what I get:
- If I load the page while not logged in to EE and my static page cache is served, I get a response within about 100ms, and full page load in about 1.5s.

- If I load the page while logged in to EE (so my static page cache doesn’t get served), or if I clear all caches and load the page while not logged in to EE, it starts loads in about ~5.5s and is fully loaded by about ~6.5s.

Those are times I can deal with. The vast majority of visitors will get pretty instant page loads due to the static caching, and occasionally a visitor will have to wait 5 or 6 seconds.

But when I have S3 set up:

- If I load the page while not logged in to EE and my static page cache is served, I get a response within about 100ms, and full page load in about 1 to 1.5s. Same as before.

- If I load the page while logged in to EE (so my static page cache doesn’t get served), or if I clear all caches, and load the page while not logged in to EE, it loads in about 40 to 50 seconds and is fully loaded about a second later!

All of these images have been processed by CE Image already, and the processed versions are already saved on S3.  Is there something I’m doing wrong, or have configured wrong to cause this delay?  Please help, thanks!

PaleoSun
# 1
PaleoSun

*bump*

Causing Effect - Aaron Waldon
# 2
Developer
Causing Effect - Aaron Waldon

Hi Paleo Sun!

I’m not sure why the images would be so slow. It’s probably because PHP needs to download the images in order to resize them. You can enable debugging to see if that gives any useful insights as to what may be causing the delays. Additionally, you’ll likely want to set up caching to mitigate any slowness.

Regards,

Aaron