Been There!

ExpressionEngine 1.x, ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Wouter Vervloet

Different way to track viewed entries

Feature Request

gaarmaster
gaarmaster

I love this plugin! It was able to do exactly what I needed for a project; create an inbox-like functionality on a site. My only issue, as the add-on description notes, is that it is based on cookies. So if a) cookies are disabled or b) someone clears their cookies (or uses another computer, for that matter), it looses the effect.

It would be awesome if the plugin used something else to keep track of viewed entries. Just throwing it out there.

Wouter Vervloet
# 1
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

I’ll look into it.

Maybe when a visitor is logged in, I could use a database an their member_id to track the views. I’ll keep you posted!

Greetz,
Wouter

[edit]
Even better, I might be able to jump on this during the EECI devday. With a whole day of coding, I should be able to get something done.

gaarmaster
# 2
gaarmaster

Wow! Thank you for the speedy response, Wouter! That would be amazing.

gaarmaster
# 3
gaarmaster

Hey Wouter,

I was wondering where you were with this. I’m going to need this functionality for a site soon, and was wondering about the best way to approach it. I might create a custom solution, but wanted to check with you first.

Thanks!

Wouter Vervloet
# 4
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

Did you need it for EE2 or 1.6.x?

gaarmaster
# 5
gaarmaster

I’d use it for EE2

Wouter Vervloet
# 6
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

Hi gaarmaster,

I’ve pushed out a new version to my GitHub repository (http://github.com/AboutWout/been_there.ee2_addon) which should do the trick. Keep in mind, I just made it and it’s late over here so there could be some bugs. It won’t mess with your existing data, but it could NOT work.

So if you run into any bugs or errors, please let me know.

Greetz,
Wouter

Wouter Vervloet
# 7
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

Oh… as a little note: You’ll have to enable the extension I added to handle the modification of the exp_member_data table to store the entries and to create a global variable ({viewed_entries}) which holds the viewed entries for the logged in member, both those in the cookie as wel as in the database (for backwards compatibility).

// to show unviewed entries
{exp:channel:entries channel='news' entry_id='not {viewed_entries}'}

// your shizzle here
{/exp:channel:entries} 
gaarmaster
# 8
gaarmaster

Wouter, you are officially my EE hero! I will test this out ASAP and let you know if I run in to any issues.

Thank you so much!!

Wouter Vervloet
# 9
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

Hi Gaarmaster,

I was wondering if everything worked as you hoped it would. Would put my heart at ease…

Greetz,
Wouter

gaarmaster
# 10
gaarmaster

Hey Wouter!

I’m so sorry, I meant to respond to this sooner. The changes you made have been working perfectly!! :) Haven’t run in to any issues. I seriously cannot thank you enough for taking the time to update this add-on. You are seriously a life-safer!

Wouter Vervloet
# 11
Developer
Wouter Vervloet

Glad to hear. I’ll update the documentation and the readme on the repository to include the new changes.

Thanks for requesting the feature btw… it made it more awesome than it already was. *pats himself on the back* (I really shouldn’t try that anymore… hurts my shoulders)

Greetz,
Wouter