ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From mithra62

Example Restore workflow

General

Joff
Joff

Hi,

I’m interested in Backup Pro but wondered if you can explain how the Restoration process works?

Assuming a complete system failure and loss of all data, what steps would I need to take to restore using Backup Pro?  E.g. Would I need to install ExpressionEngine?  Would Backup Pro need to be installed in the new site?

Thanks in advance!

mithra62
# 1
Developer
mithra62

Hi Joff,

The backups are essentially complete zip files of whatever you configure to backup; you have the choice of what files or directories to backup so it’s sort of up to you. Backup Pro is really configurable.

Restoring is typically a painless process. Just unzip your backup and there are your site files (and DB if you include your DBs in your file bacup). No need to install EE or Backup Pro or anything like that to restore. Just a zipping program if you don’t have one :)

Eric

Joff
# 2
Joff

Hi Eric,

Thank you for confirming that, Backup Pro sounds great.  One future feature request if I may, is for the restore to unzip directly on the server.  One issue I’ve had in the past on other platforms (not EE) is having to FTP all of the site’s files back up to the server.  If there was a one-click (or relatively few clicks at least :) ) process, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Joff

mithra62
# 3
Developer
mithra62

Hi Joff,

When it comes to restore Backup Pro does have an online database restore. Considering that the majority of your stuff within EE is stored in the database (data, templates, etc) this should work for most scenarios.

But, when it comes to restoring files, it gets tricky because of permissions and whatnot so Backup Pro doesn’t even attempt to deal with that train wreck just yet. I can say I’m brainstorming a solution to that problem using FTP and PHP but it’s still too early to go into detail.

Thanks,
Eric