Simple S3 Uploader
3rd Party (Commercial)
EE Version Support
- ExpressionEngine 1.x
- ExpressionEngine 2
If an item is crossed out, it might be untested, not applicable or incompatible. Contact the developer to be sure.
- Multi Site Manager
- Stand Alone Entry Form
- Low Variables
- Content Elements
- Better Workflow
- jQuery for the Control Panel
The Simple S3 Uploader is a custom field that works like the popular nGen File Field extension except it stores the files (and optional thumbnail) on Amazon S3. Supports image resizing, thumbnails, all sorts of content types, maximum file sizes, and is safe for use in SAEFs.
File upload made easy: the Simple S3 Uploader custom field type for ExpressionEngine is now available!
eMarketSouth introduces a new custom field type for ExpressionEngine 1.6.x and ExpressionEngine 2.x that allows you to store files uploaded to your weblog entries on Amazon’s S3 Service.
With a simple field asking users which file they would like to upload, Simple S3 Uploader stores the file on Amazon’s S3 Service. S3 is a storage service that allows users to upload extremely large numbers of files without cluttering, slowing, or crashing local servers. With 99.999999999% reliability your clients, customers, and users can be certain that their files are in good hands. For more information about Amazon S3, have a look at their frequently asked questions.
Sound too good to be true? Check out some of the features Simple S3 Uploader boasts:
- Automatic image resizing support for JPEG, GIF, and PNG images with the best color management algorithm available to ExpressionEngine
- Automatic thumbnail creation for JPEG, GIF, and PNG images (thumbnails are stored on S3 as well as the original file)
- Image resizing supports PNG-8, PNG-24, and GIF transparency
- Three image resizing modes: fit in box, fill box, and stretch to fit
- Maximum file size and image dimension settings
- Compatible (we’d go as far as to say “designed for use”) with stand-alone entry and edit forms (SAEF)
- Compatible with Matrix 2 and FF Matrix for easy-to-create photo galleries and other lists of files
- Files can be uploaded as private (nobody but you has access to view them), temporary authenticated URLs can then be generated to allow access for an amount of time that you choose.
- Cache setting which allows uploaded files to be cached by the browser for the specified number of days after download… this improves subsequent page load times and decreases your S3 bill!
- Variable replacements allow you to customize the organization and filenames of the files stored on S3.
Using ExpressionEngine template tags you can output the following variables (or even use them in conditionals):
- Original File name
- S3 URL for file and thumbnail
- S3 File name for file and thumbnail (useful for Cloudfront integration or customized S3 domains)
- File and thumbnail file size (in bytes or human readable)
- Image and thumbnail dimensions
- MIME type (image/jpeg, image/gif, video/x-flv, application/pdf, etc.)
- MIME “class” (image, video, application, etc.)
- Temporary authenticated URL - link expires when you say so (eliminates hotlinking and can be used to set up a secure client upload area)
- An Amazon S3 account ;)
- PHP5 with cURL support
- ExpressionEngine 1.6 with FieldFrame 1.3.5 or later
- ExpressionEngine 2.1 or later
- when using Simple S3 Uploader in a SAEF you’ll need the Simple SAEF Enctype (extension)
The Simple S3 Uploader saves you time and trouble for only $29 per license.
Simple S3 Uploader Links
- Simple S3 Uploader Documentation - Template Tags
- Simple S3 Uploader Documentation - Settings
- Simple S3 Uploader Forum Thread - New
- Simple S3 Uploader Forum Thread - Archived
- Simple SAEF Enctype extension (needed for use in SAEF)
If the add-on is an extension, and ties into ExpressionEngine's core files, it will use ExpressionEngine hooks. We are listing any hooks the add-on uses for developers to have an easier time locating other add-ons that they can reference for their own work.
This entry was created May 25, 2010, 5:33 pm.
This entry was last updated June 9, 2012, 11:51 am.
Disclaimer: Information about ExpressionEngine add-ons is provided as a service to you, the user, and every member of the ExpressionEngine community. devot:ee is not responsible if you hose, mangle, wreck, or otherwise destroy your EE website by installing an add-on that you found out about at this site, regardless of its rating, Favorites status, commercial or free status, or general popularity. Caveat EEmptor!
Returns: devot:ee has a 30-day return policy on all commercial add-ons sold through devot-ee.com. If you need to return an add-on, do not go to the developer or the developer's site, but rather visit our returns page at https://devot-ee.com/returns to initiate your return. If you have questions, email email@example.com.