Categories to Text
3rd Party (Free)
285 downloads (last 90 days)
EE Version Support
- ExpressionEngine 2
If an item is crossed out, it might be untested, not applicable or incompatible. Contact the developer to be sure.
- Multi Site Manager
- Stand Alone Entry Form
- Low Variables
- Content Elements
- Better Workflow
- jQuery for the Control Panel
Save an entry's categories into a text channel field. Combine with EE's Search module to search category names. Combine with Low Search to search categories with weighted values.
- Copy /system/third_party/categories_to_text/ to /system/expressionengine/third_party/
- Enable the extension from Add-ons » Extensions
Only Channels with an assigned category group AND a basic text fieldtype (text input, textarea) will appear.
- Click “Add New Category-Field Pair” to define which category group to save to text field.
- Category Group: For each entry in this channel, the selected categories (from this category group) will be saved to the selected Text Field as a comma-dilenated string.
- Text-Field: Only the basic EE text input and textarea fields for this channel will appear as options.
- Synonym Text Field: (Optional) If you have created a custom text field for the selected category group, it will appear. The string in that custom category field will be added to the selected Text Field along with the categories. This was initially created for adding search synonyms for specific categories.
- Update Existing [channel name] Channel Entries: Check to have the extension update entries in the specific channel with the new data. Leave unchecked to leave entries as they are.
The settings saved in the extension will be applied to an entry (new or edited).
If you are using EE’s native Search module, you can use this extension to search categories via the Text Field.
We created this extension to combine with Low Search to search category names (and category synonyms) with weighted values. Instead of having Low Search index the categories themselves, we had it index the channel text field (which we hid from the client in the EE publish view). Many of the categories also had synonymous terms that needed to be equal to the main category name, which is why a selected custom category text field can be tacked on to the outputted string value to the channel text field. (With EE 2.7, Low Search will be updated to allow weighted category searching.)
We’d love hear how you’re using this extension and how we can make it work even better for you.
Download Categories to Text
|EE Support||Downloads||Add-On Version||Release Date|
|Not Specified||Download||0.9.6||Aug 5, 2013|
Categories to Text Links
If the add-on is an extension, and ties into ExpressionEngine's core files, it will use ExpressionEngine hooks. We are listing any hooks the add-on uses for developers to have an easier time locating other add-ons that they can reference for their own work.
This entry was created August 5, 2013, 8:35 am.
This entry was last updated July 30, 2014, 8:15 am.
Disclaimer: Information about ExpressionEngine add-ons is provided as a service to you, the user, and every member of the ExpressionEngine community. devot:ee is not responsible if you hose, mangle, wreck, or otherwise destroy your EE website by installing an add-on that you found out about at this site, regardless of its rating, Favorites status, commercial or free status, or general popularity. Caveat EEmptor!
Returns: devot:ee has a 30-day return policy on all commercial add-ons sold through devot-ee.com. If you need to return an add-on, do not go to the developer or the developer's site, but rather visit our returns page at https://devot-ee.com/returns to initiate your return. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.