devot:ee's 2012 AcademEE Awards
2012 Accessory of the Year: devot:ee Monitor
- tags: add-ons, developer info, developer tool, addon development, addons, devot-ee, developer, monitor, security, updater, update, devotee
The devot:ee add-on keeps you up-to-date on what add-ons are out-of-date on your ExpressionEngine sites.
- 12 Reviews
- Rating - 4.9342 Votes
- 135 Favs
The devot:ee Monitor is one of the most downloaded free add-ons on the site. This award belongs as much to EECoder and Antistatic Design as it does to us, due to the programming and design work done by EE Coder's lead coder Aaron Kuzemchak (@akuzemchak) and design and layout done by Mark Wells of Antistatic Design (@antistaticdsgn).
- 2nd Place: Responsive CP (PutYourLightsOn) – Makes your control panel work better with mobile devices and look more professional.
- 3rd Place: BSD PublishEEr (Blue State Digital) – Adds a text input that filters your Channel list in the publish menu.
2012 Extension of the Year: Snaptcha
- tags: captcha, honeypot, honeepot, invisible, hidden, spam, antispam, registration, group members, registration form, snaptcha, form, protect
Snaptcha 2.0.2 - $29.00
Snaptcha is an invisible captcha and will be the last time you will ever have to think about protecting your forms from spam bots.
- 16 Reviews
- Rating - 4.8432 Votes
- 80 Favs
Snaptcha is an invisible captcha and will be the last time you will ever have to think about protecting your forms from spam bots. This easy-to-implement add-on all but completely eliminates spam posts on your site. This review sums it up: "This brought one of my sites from 500 spam comments a week to 0. Thanks, Ben." We use Snaptcha right here on devot:ee, so we agree: "Thanks, Ben!"
- 2nd Place: EE Debug Toolbar (mithra62) – Add an unobtrusive interface for debugging output, and replaces the default Profiler and Template Debugger.
- 3rd Place: Single Entry (Viget Labs) – With a few simple settings, your control panel can be set up to create and edit single entry posts without the risk of adding new and unnecessary entries to these channels.
2012 Fieldtype of the Year: Low Events
- Fieldtype, Module
- tags: events, event calendar, event, event list, event management, list, management, calendar, anniversaries
Low Events 2.0.1 - $49.00
Do you need to display events on your site? And do you like to keep things simple? Then Low Events is the add-on you want.
- 5 Reviews
- Rating - 5.0010 Votes
- 41 Favs
This sort of fieldtype was apparently in demand, because this has been a popular add-on ever since it was introduced earlier this year. From the description: "An event is an entry, the date and time entered is the date and time displayed. Always. Simple as that." Simple is good, and it looks like Low Events has simple in spades. Well done, Low.
- 2nd Place: Content Elements (KREA) – Gives your clients and editors freedom to create content structure directly on the publish page.
- 3rd Place: Editor (DevDemon) – Editor works as a WYSIWYG for default fields, matrix fields, Low Variables and category descriptions, using Redactor for a clean, light text field experience.
- MX Select Plus (Max Lazar) – Make long, unwieldy select boxes more user-friendly with Chosen plugin, and allows the user to add new items into the list on the fly.
- Flag Master (mithra62) – Create unlimited Profiles with custom options to allow site users the ability to mark, or "Flag", certain content based on your specific needs and custom criteria
2012 Module of the Year: Updater
- Extension, Module
- tags: updater, addons, upgrade, expressionengine, install, installer, update, system, easy
Updater 3.3.0 - $29.00
Updater makes updating ExpressionEngine and compatibile Add-Ons easier then ever. Sick of uploading all your files, backing things up, moving files around and wasting hours of your life away? Updater is here to give you hours of your life back. Simply install Updater into ExpressionEngine modules and with a few simple clicks you will have ExpressionEngine up to date.
- 32 Reviews
- Rating - 4.4657 Votes
- 88 Favs
Talk about buzz; this add-on literally exploded on to the scene this year, and won this category handily. Updating ExpressionEngine is frequently a painful topic of conversation. DevDemon's Updater arrived on the scene with a demo video showing an EE site being updated in a matter of seconds, making just about everyone go crazy with nerd glee. Updater is very popular and itself has been updated frequently. A very cool and much needed add-on for so many EE users.
- 2nd Place: CE Cache (Causing Effect) – CE Cache allows you to store and retrieve parts of your templates (fragment caching via file-based caching, database, APC, Redis, Memcache or Memcached) or full-page static caching.
- 3rd Place: Field Editor (Chris Newton) – Adds powerful features to EE's standard field editor interface to add, delete, re-order and manipulate your custom fields all in one simple interface.
- Postmaster (Objective HTML) – The definitive solution for emailing channel entry data within EE. Create email templates using the live preview, and impose extremely fine levels of control to send emails exactly when you want.
- Publisher (Brian Litzinger) – The only multilingual and workflow module for EE, letting you create drafts and translations of your entries, categories, and content phrases
2012 Plugin of the Year: CE Tweet
- Fieldtype, Module
- tags: twitter, favorites, lists, timeline, intents, oauth, caching, tweet, retweet, follow button, retweet button, social
CE Tweet 1.3.8 - $22.00
CE Tweet enables you to display and consume Twitter in your ExpressionEngine templates
- 10 Reviews
- Rating - 5.0015 Votes
- 29 Favs
Causing Effect offers us another very solid plugin with CE Tweet (after winning this category last year with the incredible CE Image plugin). Another Twitter plugin? Yes, and probably the last one you'll ever need. Based on Aaron's track record, if there is a missing feature in CE Tweet, just make a feature request and it won't be missing for long. If you need data from Twitter on your EE website, this look like the go-to solution.
- 2nd Place: Forms JS Validation (Rein de Vries) – Add JS validation to exisiting forms, and is compatible with all kind of forms such as DevDemon's form module.
- 3rd Place: Placeholder (Natetronn) – Allows you to easily add placeholder images to your site.
2012 Developer of the Year
Lodewijk Schutte, aka "Low" is an ExpressionEngine developer working from his houseboat in the Netherlands. He's been active in the EE community for over seven years. He's had useful add-ons out there for years, and he finally hit the tipping point where the EE community had to vote and say "this guy is the real deal." I can't imagine building a site without at least one Low add-on (how did
we our clients survive without Low Variables?) Note that his latest add-on, Low Events, won the Fieldtype of the Year award this year. Congrats, Low! Time for wine and cheese!
- 2nd Place: mithra62 (Eric Lamb) (mithra62.com) – Eric has a solid stable of add-ons and loves to talk ExpressionEngine. His EE Debug Toolbar won 2nd Place in Extension of the Year this year, and Flag Master was a Fieldtype honorable mention. This is an EE development career that is going places.
- 3rd Place: Causing Effect (causingeffect.com) – What can you say about Causing Effect? He shows up in more than one category almost every year, and is definitely highly decorated in the awards. He claims 2011 2nd runner-up in Dev of the Year; 2011 Plugin of the Year for CE Image, 2012 Extension honorable mention for CE Lossless, 2012 2nd place Module for CE Cache and 2012 Plugin of the Year for CE Tweet.
- DevDemon (devdemon.com) – Brad Parscale and company have a growing list of very popular add-ons. This year they had a 3rd place Fieldtype with Editor and the 2012 Module of the Year with Updater. Congratulations!
- Objective HTML (objectivehtml.com) – Justin is becoming a force. You can see him on the ExpressionEngine Stack Exchange site offering tons of help to members of the ExpressionEngine community. his Postmaster add-on is a 2012 honorable mention in Modules.