ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From Nicolas Bottari

Zenbu search showing no results when filtering by Matrix field

Support Request

pixelpie
pixelpie

Hi Nicolas,

We added a new Matrix field to an existing channel and when adding a new entry filtering rule by the matrix field the results table always shows “No results matched” even when the filtering rule field is empty.

The matrix rows are all searchable and contain the following fields: Playa relationship, MX Select Plus, and 3 Text fields. We upgraded to latest versions of everything except EE so currently we are using:

EE 2.8,1
Zenbu 1.9.2
Matrix 2.6
Playa 4.5.1

Tried to perform the search by only having plain text fields within the matrix but same result.
Also tried enabling and disabling the “Show matrix in a row” but no luck either. As soon as we delete the filtering rule, all the results show correctly again.

Not sure if I’m missing anything else here?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

Nicolas Bottari - Zenbu Studio
# 1
Developer

Hi Alberto,

Out of curiosity, is there only one filtering rule, or are there many?
Is this a fresh install of Zenbu, or did you upgrade it?
In addition to making Matrix columns searchable, did you set the Matrix field as searchable? Zenbu looks directly in Matrix tables, not in exp_channel_data, but might be worth checking this.
It’s odd that you’re not seeing the effect of the “Show matrix in row” option either (first time I hear of this). Have you made sure to upload all files, making sure any old Zenbu files are gone/overwritten?

You might need to contact me with CP/FTP login credentials and other info by filling out this form if you want me to go in and have a look at your setup. Thanks.

pixelpie
# 2
pixelpie

Thanks for your prompt reply Nicolas.
We had a saved search that had pre-populated filtering rules, so after your suggestion of performing a search with just one rule it worked. At the moment it seems to work with multiple rules (including custom fields) only if the matrix rule is the first one. Happy with that tho so all good now, thanks heaps!

There’s a small thing we are seeing when displaying in Zenbu the playa field within the matrix, but we’ll perform some checks first before creating a support request ticket.

Cheers,
Alberto

# 3
Developer

Glad to hear you’re okay for now. I was able to reproduce the issue on my side: if a Matrix field isn’t the first filter out of multiple filters, no results are returned. I’ll work on this bug for the next release. Thanks for finding it :)

As for Playa-in-Matrix, if you have an issue I suggest opening a new thread for that for clarity. Thanks.

pixelpie
# 4
pixelpie

Hi Nicolas,
Just noticed that we have a Playa field - other than the one within the matrix field - and when filtering by this field, it highlights the filtering term but doesn’t seem to perform the actual filtering in the results listing. If we remove the matrix field from the filtering rules, then it perform the playa search fine.

Could you please have a look and let us know if you are able to replicate it?

Thanks,
Alberto

# 5
Developer

Does the order of filters matter? For example, if your 1st filter is Matrix and your second is Playa, does the search work against your Playa field?

Are you searching based on the Playa entry titles or something else?

pixelpie
# 6
pixelpie

Hi Nicolas,
If matrix field goes after Playa, then it happens the original “No results found” issue you managed to replicate. As soon as we remove the matrix field from the rules, the search works perfectly filtering by the Playa field or any other field.

Search is based in Playa’s entry title, and when performed without the matrix field in the set of rules it works fine, when matrix field is added on top, the playa search terms get highlighted, but the results don’t get filtered. Please see attached screenshot for your reference.

Thanks,
Alberto

# 7
Developer

Hi Alberto,

I just released Zenbu 1.9.3, which in my testing wasn’t having the Matrix/Playa filtering issue anymore. Let me know if the issue persists though, or if this is resolved now. Thanks! :)

pixelpie
# 8
pixelpie

Hey Nicolas,
Thanks heaps for the release.
I had a quick look at it and it seems to work a bit inconsistently. I want to look at it a bit more in depth so I can get back to you with a better idea. I’ll get back to you within the next day or two if that’s ok.

Cheers,
Alberto

# 9
Developer

That’s fine. Make sure to give me a detailed description of your search: the order of filters, what fieldtype you’re searching in, what results you expect and what you’re getting instead, screenshots (can’t hurt), etc. Also make sure the field data you’re searching is stored in exp_channel_data. Thanks :)