ExpressionEngine 2

Back to this add-on's main page
View Other Add-ons From PutYourLightsOn

Unsubscribing failed

Support Request

Steven Langbroek
Steven Langbroek

Hey guys,

My client got a complaint from someone who had received their newsletter, but wanted to unsubscribe. When she clicked the unsubscribe-button she got the following error-message:

Error
Unable to find the specified account number.

She forwarded me the e-mail and I’m getting the same results when I click her unsubscribe-link. I’ve looked her e-mail address up in the Mailing List module and her e-mail is there as it should be.

Why isn’t this working?

Thanks,

- Steven

PutYourLightsOn
# 1
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

hi steven,

can you check if the email that was sent out to this user is still in the FireMail add-on page? if it was deleted then that would explain the error message…

ben

Steven Langbroek
# 2
Steven Langbroek

Hey Ben,

I checked and both the e-mail and her record are still there…

- Steven

PutYourLightsOn
# 3
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

what is the unsubscribe link?

Steven Langbroek
# 4
Steven Langbroek

Here you go: http://www.fashiondeal.nl/?ACT=38&spoor=b6241153e415aaa25b4ca763367b9a0c&id=DN1oJuHDnc

Steven Langbroek
# 5
Steven Langbroek

Haven’t heard back from you yet, I’m now getting another complaint of people being unable to unsubscribe. I’m currently sending about 4000 mails, and the process appears to be almost completely blocking my site… Is this normal behavior? Client is on VPS, so it can’t be because of host-imposed restrictions…

Steven Langbroek
# 6
Steven Langbroek

Also of note: we’re using Sendgrid instead of own mailserver.

Steven Langbroek
# 7
Steven Langbroek

Guys, I hadn’t made this apparent because I thought the subject-matter would, but this is really really critical. I need a fix for this ASAP. What more information do you need to solve this?

PutYourLightsOn
# 8
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

sorry about the delay steven. this error message is being thrown by the mailing list module so i would ask you to check the following:

1. is there a row in the exp_mailing_list table that has authcode “DN1oJuHDnc”?
(SELECT * FROM exp_mailing_list WHERE authcode = ‘DN1oJuHDnc’)

2. if no, then is there a row in the exp_fiemail_spoor table that has spoor_code “b6241153e415aaa25b4ca763367b9a0c”?
(SELECT * FROM exp_firemail_spoor WHERE spoor_code = ‘b6241153e415aaa25b4ca763367b9a0c’)

3. and if yes then does the unsubscribed column have any value in that row?

4. what versions of EE and FireMail is the site using?

what i suspect has happened is that the email was sent out to a bunch of people and since then the email record was deleted from the FireMail module meaning that the unsubscribes are working but not registering. however your answers to my questions above should help me determine the real cause…

Steven Langbroek
# 9
Steven Langbroek

Hey Ben,

Thanks for getting back. To answer your questions:

1. No
2. Yes
3. It does: 1342730302
4. EE: 2.5.1 - Build Date: 20120529 / Firemail: 1.8

Regarding the record being deleted after being sent: the record is still (even now) in the mailinglist, and it was when I checked (even before opening this ticket). The e-mail that we sent is also still in the Firemail module…

PutYourLightsOn
# 10
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

steven, it looks like the email address with authcode “DN1oJuHDnc” is no longer in the mailing list but that FireMail is not reporting this correctly. i’ve added a fix to this in version 1.8.1, please upgrade and test it and let me know if it solves the issue.

Steven Langbroek
# 11
Steven Langbroek

I checked, and I’m 100% sure that this person IS still in the mailinglist…

PutYourLightsOn
# 12
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

yes i know, but as you said the authcode “DN1oJuHDnc” is not, which is the authorization code of the person trying to unsubscribe… what may have happened is that the person resubscribed and is now trying to unsubscribe again using the same link which is not possible. is this understandable?

Steven Langbroek
# 13
Steven Langbroek

This is understandable yes, but highly unlikely. The number of complaints is also increasing as we’re adding more people to the list, and my client is now sort of scared to send e-mails…

Steven Langbroek
# 14
Steven Langbroek

Here’s another link that has the same error:

http://www.fashiondeal.nl/?ACT=38&spoor=e2c1376023e871624ae0f495ae9fe056&id=iH2uysr0M0

Your answer is not sufficient, this will eventually lead to my client being fined under Dutch legislation by not providing proper unsubscribe-methods. My client will now have to wait with their newsletter, which will cost them money. How are we going to fix this ASAP? And by ASAP I mean within the next 24 hours. This has gone on long enough.

PutYourLightsOn
# 15
Developer
PutYourLightsOn

Steven, can you please email me login details to the control panel. I will make this a top priority today and do my best to help get this issue resolved ASAP.